Firefighters battle fire at an apartment building in Mitchell

MITCHELL – Firefighters from Mitchell and Marion Township Volunteer Fire Departments responded to an apartment fire at 11:51 p.m. Wednesday in the 200 block of South Fifth Street.

Five residents were inside the apartment complex when the fire started but were evacuated safely.

Firefighters say a mattress was intentionally set next to the building and lit on fire.

Mitchell Police Department officers and an IU Lifeline Ambulance also responded to the scene.