ISP Versailles Post investigating the death of Jackson County inmate

JACKSON CO. – Detectives from the Indiana State Police (ISP) Versailles post are investigating the death of Ta’neasha Chappell, 23, a Jackson County Jail inmate, who died shortly after being transported from the jail to Schneck Memorial Hospital in Seymour on Friday.  

Ta’neash Chappell

 Ta’neash Chappell, of Louisville, Kentucky, was arrested by the Indiana State Police on May 26, 2021, and transported to the Jackson County Jail. She was arrested after stealing numerous items at the Polo Ralph Lauren Factory Store at the Premium Outlet Mall near Edinburgh, Indiana.  Chappell then fled from troopers  Chappell was pursued south on I-65 through Jackson, Scott, and Clark Counties with speeds reaching more than 100 miles per hour.  Troopers from the Indiana State Police-Sellersburg Post along with numerous other agencies assisted in the pursuit. At one point during the pursuit, Chappell’s vehicle collided with the rear of a commercial motor vehicle.  Chappell’s vehicle eventually left the roadway at exit 7 on I-65 near Clarksville, Indiana, where it came to a stop after being badly damaged.  Chappell exited the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot.  She was soon taken into custody after being tased. 

Numerous suspected stolen items, valued at more than $3,000 were located in the vehicle.  Police also found marijuana in her possession. 

Chappell was transported to Schneck Medical Center in Seymour, for medical clearance and to submit a chemical test for intoxication.  

Chappell was then incarcerated at the Jackson County Jail on numerous felony and misdemeanor charges related to resisting law enforcement. 

On July 16, she was taken by ambulance to Schneck Memorial Hospital in Seymour, where she later died.

 On Saturday, July 17, the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department contacted investigators from the ISP Versailles post and requested detectives conduct a death investigation.  

 As part of that investigation, an autopsy was performed Sunday, July 18, and detectives are awaiting the autopsy report and toxicology results.  

 This case is still under investigation.