The individual income tax season starts in just over a month (Jan. 21, 2020) and most people want to receive their tax refund as soon as possible. However, DOR cautions folks not to rely on getting a refund by a certain date to make major purchases or pay bills.
Many factors can affect how quickly you get your refund. Although most electronically submitted refunds are processed in two weeks or less, some individuals may have a longer wait due to factors such as:
- Additional review needed to look for errors in the return or to verify eligibility for certain credits.
- More information needed due to an incomplete return.
- Identity verification to ensure that the refund is going to the right person.
- Problems reading the information written on paper returns.
If there is an issue with your tax return, DOR will send a letter asking for more information or to confirm your identity.
Individuals can check on the status of their refund after they’ve submitted their return by:
- Using the online application located on DOR’s website.
- Using DOR’s automated refund line at (317) 233-4018.
Be sure to have your Social Security number and the exact amount of your refund ready to utilize these services.
Remember, the fastest way to recieve your refund is to:
- Ensure you have all documents needed before filing;
- File electronically; and
- Opt for direct deposit of your return.
Have more questions about the upcoming tax season? Call us at 317-232-2240, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., EST.