Infant dies in Martinsville residence fire

MARTINSVILLE— A 3-month-old infant died in a Martinsville residence fire on Friday afternoon.

The fire was reported at 2:54 p.m. in the 400 block of South Home Avenue.

Firefighters from the Martinsville Fire Department and Washington Township Fire Department, along with officers with the Martinsville Police Department, quickly responded to the apartment complex.

Police say four or five people were in the two-story apartment on South Home Avenue near Nutter Street.

Firefighters began fire suppressive efforts. The fire was contained in an upstairs bedroom.

After putting out the fire, firefighters searched the residence and found an infant unresponsive. First responders said they did everything they could to resuscitate the child. Three-month-old Colson Murtlow was transported to IU Morgan Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

The Indiana State Fire Marshal and the Martinsville Fire Department continue investigating the incident.