Firefighters battle massive garage fire on Spencer Pike Road

SPRINGVILLE – Firefighters spent Thanksgiving evening battling a large garage fire.

The fire was reported at 6:11 p.m. in the 1000 block of Spencer Pike Road, north of Springville.

Firefighters from Perry, Marshall, Shawswick, Indian Creek, and Oolitic Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the blaze.

Photo by Bill Raines

Smoke could be seen for several miles.

Firefighters used tankers to transport water from hydrants in Springville to a dump tank at the fire scene.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the garage, but a nearby trailer sustained heat damage to the exterior of the home.

According to Perry Township Fire Chief Jessica Voorhies, a gas can placed too close to a wood stove ignited the blaze.

The garage and it’s contents including several vehicles were destroyed in the blaze.

An IU LifeLine ambulance also responded to the scene.