MONROE CO. – A building was destroyed in an early morning fire on South Airline Road in Monroe County.
According to the Monroe Fire Protection District, someone living along Airline Road woke around 1:20 a.m. Monday to “an orange glow shining in their bedroom window” and noticed the fire outside.
All residents and pets were able to safely leave and no injuries were reported.
Engine 22 arrived on the scene reporting to find a barn/garage engulfed in flames. The building was close to a house and a propane tank.
Firefighters deployed two hose lines to battle the flames. One hose line worked to cool the large propane tank that was getting dangerously hot from the fire. The second hose line was used to knock down the bulk of the flames and stop the fire from spreading to any other structures.
Additional fire units began arriving on the scene to assist in extinguishing the blaze and supply water.
Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control in about 30 minutes. Crews remained on scene for an extended period of time to cool hot spots and assist the fire investigator.
The fire investigator ruled the fire as accidental due to an appliance malfunction.
Engines 22, 29, 21, 23, 25, Tender 25, Battalion 29, Chief 2-3 and Car 2-8 responded to the call. IU Health Lifeline Ambulance provided medical standby.