Candle blamed for starting blaze at Kinser Flats apartments

BLOOMINGTON – Bloomington Fire Department responded to a fire at Kinser Flats apartments on Sunday.

An unattended candle is blamed for starting the blaze. Firefighters arrived at the apartments located at the corner of Kinser and Gourley pikes at 3:07 p.m.

The resident fell asleep but left a candle burning. That candle caught the bedding on fire.

When firefighters arrived the fire had been extinguished by the building’s sprinkler system.

According to Interim Deputy Chief Max Litwin, the damage was contained to the originating apartment, but the sprinkler system caused water damage to six other units.

The Red Cross relocated individuals who resided in the affected apartments.

No injuries were reported. Firefighters were on the scene for about two hours.

The apartments are owned by Centerstone, a nonprofit health system specializing in mental health and addiction treatment.