Firefighters extinguish a kitchen fire

HELTONVILLE – The Pleasant Run Township Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of a kitchen fire in the 300 block of Sipes Branch Road, Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze at 4:36 p.m. The homeowner reported they were having trouble extinguishing the fire due to heavy grease on their stove.

Firefighters arrived within minutes and found 3-foot flames shooting from the stove. They were able to extinguish the flames quickly.

Chief Darin Kinser reminds residents to always have a fire extinguisher in their kitchens, garages, and other designated locations. They should be kept in a location that is easy to get to.

“A small fire can quickly become a structure fire in a matter of minutes,” he added.

It is also important to have working smoke detectors.