Firefighters respond to deck fire in Oolitic Tuesday afternoon

OOLITIC – Oolitic and Shawswick Fire Department firefighters responded to a deck fire Tuesday afternoon in the 300 block of Lafayette Street after a 911 call at 1:32 p.m.

The fire started on a back deck and was quickly extinguished by the property owner with a garden hose. The homeowners told firefighters they heard a loud pop and then discovered the fire.

Firefighters believe citronella candles that were located on the back deck might have got too warm and ignited materials sitting close to the candles.

Firefighters stretched a hose line off the truck to make sure the hot spots were taken care of and then checked the home with a thermal imaging camera for possible hot spots and make sure the fire did not go inside the home.