Firefighters battle blaze at Compton Apartments

MITCHELL – Mitchell and Marion Township Volunteer Fire Department firefighters battled a blaze at Compton Apartments on North Sixth Street Tuesday.

Firefighters responded to the blaze just after 6 p.m. after a 911 call reporting smoke at the back of the building.

When firefighters arrived they found one apartment filled with smoke.

According to Mitchell VFD Assistant Chief Wayne Coble, welders were working on a metal stairway earlier in the day, which is suspected of starting the fire.

Firefighters were able to confine the fire to one apartment.

However, due to the fire possibly damaging the electrical system residents were asked to leave their apartments. The Red Cross was alerted who help four residents with housing.