DAVIESS CO. The Daviess County Community Foundation has received a $40,000 grant for the Daviess Community Hospital Foundation through its 2023 Community Good Grants program.
The grant will be used to purchase an SUV for the Community Paramedic Program. The Community Paramedic Program closes the gap by expanding the role of EMS personnel. It allows paramedics and emergency medical technicians (EMTs) to operate in expanded roles by assisting with public health and primary healthcare and preventive services to underserved populations in the community. The goals are to improve access to care and to avoid duplicating existing services.
The program generally focus on:
- Providing and connecting patients to primary care services
- Completing post-hospital follow-up care
- Integration with local public health agencies, home health agencies, health systems, and other providers
- Providing education and health promotion programs
- Providing services not available elsewhere in the community
The program is a patient-centered model of care delivered in a patient’s home. This includes working with a team to coordinate in-home visits as well as the use of telehealth.
The Community Paramedic will assist with health screenings, vaccinations, treatments, and follow-ups.
The program will also include social work, substance abuse resources, mental health, chronic disease management, and more.