MITCHELL – A public hearing was conducted prior to the start of the school board meeting to provide an update on the lease and appropriation for the capital improvement project.
At the present time, the architect advised Superintendent Dr. Comer despite rising construction costs, the capital improvement project is still under budget.
Dr. Brent Comer also reports the corporation had an excellent rating on the bonds with the corporation receiving an A+ rating underwriter and AA+ for the program rating. For persons looking to purchase the bonds, those rates will benefit them. The school corporation has low debt and plenty of cash reserves on hand.
The Mitchell Community School board approved the purchase of property at 507 North 9th Street for $200,000. The home that sits on this property will be demolished to make way for the $16.8 million capital improvement projects that are about to get underway.
In other business:
- Approved a resolution to execute the lease for the capital improvement project.
- Approved a resolution to appropriate funds into the construction fund.
- Adopted a resolution to assign construction bids to the building corporation once they are received.
- Approved to submit a waiver for the CTE non- course waiver for BioTechnology for the 2021-2022 school year.
- Approved a Health Services Coordinator for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year.
- Approved a contract for Medicaid Reimbursement for services between Mitchell Community Schools and Public Consulting Group.
- Approved advertising bids for fuel, is an annual procedure for the corporation.
- Approved posting a job opening for Dean of Students for Mitchell Junior High School, it was determined this is needed over an assistant principal position.
- Approved a posting a job opening for NOVUS Lab/PBL Coordinator position.
- Approved a posting a job opening for a part-time Blind Low Vision position/
- Mitchell High School Summer School is June 1st – June 25 with Leland Ames, Max Ziebell, Melissa Epping, and Jessica Downey as instructors
- Burris Elementary Summer School is June 7 -June 18, with Ashley Ikerd(one week), Jessica Lee, Whitney Reed, Michael Taylor as instructors.
- Hatfield Elementary Summer School is June 7 – June 18 with Joel Parsons, Megan Mishler, Addison Lotz, John Lemons, and Katie Berry as instructors.
There has been an increase in COVID-19 among staff and students, with only a few weeks of school left, the corporation is still working to keep the students and staff safe. Dr. Comer thanked the nursing staff and custodial personnel for doing their part in ensuring the health and safety of school personnel and students.
Mitchell Graduation will be May 21, 2021 at 7:30 p.m. in the Mitchell High School Gymnasium while upholding the policy under the Covid-19 Orange status for graduation.