A cooking fire sent one to the hospital

BEDFORD – Bedford Fire Department says that cooking was to blame for a fire on Friday night that sent one person to the hospital with burns.

One person suffered burns during kitchen fire Friday night.

Bedford firefighters were called to the 100 block of Inman Court at 6:20 p.m. and found light smoke showing from the kitchen area of the home.

Todd Glenn, the only occupant of the home, was able to get out on his own. The home is owned by Stanley and April Glenn who were out of state at the time of the fire.

“We would like to emphasize to people, to call the fire department first when a fire breaks out, do not fight the fire first. This caused a little delay in our response,” said John Hughes Fire Chief Bedford Fire Department.

Todd suffered burns and was treated at the scene by IU Health Ambulance personnel and transported to IU Health Bedford Hospital. Todd was later transferred to Indianapolis hospital for treatment.

A dog was also inside the residence at the time of the fire and was transported to a neighbor’s home for safekeeping.

Bedford firefighters carry a dog over to a neighbors home Friday night following a fire at a nearby home.

Firefighters were able to get the fire quickly under control and there were no other injuries.

Bedford Fire Department, Bedford Police Department, IU Health Ambulance, and Duke Energy responded to the fire.