( BEDFORD) – The Bedford Parks Department met Tuesday afternoon and was given an update on several maintenance projects that are underway through the parks system.
Bedford Parks director Jimmy Jones stated that work on the stone wall along Tunnelton Road is underway. The crews are repairing 40 feet sections in trying to restore the WPA era wall that is starting to show its age.
Also, work continues on the Thornton Park Playground, with 4 new pieces of equipment being added to the playground. Last week, the border for the playground area was constructed. Installation of the new equipment is now underway.
The Bedford Parks Department will possibly be voting on a contractor for the Red Brick Renovation next month. The process has been slow, due to the historic nature of the building and making sure it is preserved. New damage was found during the process which will incur the need for new appraisals.
The bids for the project had a total of 499 items in the bid packet. In order to make sure the bid process was not rushed the city decided to wait another month before they vote on a contractor for the project.
The upgrade of the irrigation system continues at Otis Park which will allow the Bedford Parks Department to monitor for any leaks as well as control the watering system from their cell phones and control point.
In other business:
- Approved the two 2021 Golf Tournament Schedule changes. These changes included May 8th, Junior Golf Fundraiser Tournament to raise funds for the Junior Golf Program and October 2nd for the Bedford Firefighters Open.
- Approved 2021 Fee Waivers for four Otis Park events slated for this year.
- Winter hours for the Otis Park Club will be 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Should any inclement weather occur closure or other time information will be announced on the Otis Park Facebook page.
- New carts should arrive next month for Otis Park.
- John Bartages will come to the next meeting with programming information for 2021 Junior Golf.
- Tracy Bailey asked about the parks hours. He reports that parked vehicles playing loud music have been seen and heard late into the night at Wilson Park. Board members were advised parks close at 11:00 p.m. and police should be contacted if anyone is in the park after hours.
- Officers for the Bedford Park board were reelected for the 2021 year.
- Tim Deckard – President
- Angie Sanders – Vice President
- The Bedford Park Board welcomed Tracy Bailey to the board from the North Lawrence Community School board. Bailey has served on the board in the past.