(UNDATED) – The holiday season is nearly upon us and the U.S. Postal Service urges customers to plan ahead and ship early to their friends and loved ones stationed on military outposts in faraway lands and serving on the high seas.
To send packages to military and diplomatic posts abroad, the Postal Service offers a discounted price of $19.60 on its largest Priority Mail Flat Rate Box. The price includes a $1.50 discount per box for mail sent to APO/FPO/DPO (Air/Army Post Office/Fleet Post Office/Diplomatic Post Office) destinations worldwide.
Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes are available at no cost at Post Office locations and can also be ordered via usps.com. Postage, labels and customs forms can also be printed online anytime using Click-N-Ship. All mailing products can be found at store.usps.com/store/home.
To ensure timely delivery of holiday wishes by Dec. 25, the Postal Service recommends that cards and packages be sent to military APO/FPO/DPO addresses overseas no later than the mailing dates listed below.
|Military Mail Addressed To and From||Priority Mail Express Military Service (PMEMS)1||First-Class MailLettersandCards||Priority Mail||Parcel Airlift Mail (PAL)2||Space AvailableMail (SAM)3||Retail Ground|
|APO/FPO/DPO AE ZIPs 090-092||Dec. 18||Dec. 11||Dec. 11||Dec. 4||Nov. 27||Nov. 6|
|APO/FPO/DPO AE ZIP 093||N/A||Dec. 9||Dec. 9||Dec. 4||Nov. 27||Nov. 6|
|APO/FPO/DPO AE ZIPs 094-099||Dec. 18||Dec. 11||Dec. 11||Dec. 4||Nov. 27||Nov. 6|
|APO/FPO/DPO AA ZIP 340||Dec. 18||Dec. 11||Dec. 11||Dec. 4||Nov. 27||Nov. 6|
|APO/FPO/DPO AP ZIPs 962-966||Dec. 18||Dec. 11||Dec. 11||Dec. 4||Nov. 27||Nov. 6|
- PMEMS is available to select military/diplomatic Post Offices. Check with your local Post Office to determine if this service is available to an APO/FPO/DPO address.
- PAL is a service that provides air transportation for parcels on a space-available basis. It is available for USPS Retail Ground items not exceeding 30 pounds in weight or 60 inches in length and girth combined. The applicable PAL fee must be paid in addition to the regular surface price for each addressed piece sent by PAL service.
- SAM parcels are paid at USPS Retail Ground prices with maximum weight and size limits of 15 pounds and 60 inches in length and girth combined. SAM parcels are first transported domestically by surface and then to overseas destinations by air on a space-available basis.
Use the Military Care Kit to Send Presents and Care Packages
The Postal Service has created a free Military Care Kit based on the items most frequently requested by military families. The kit contains:
- Two Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Boxes
- Four Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Boxes
- Priority Mail tape
- Priority Mail address labels
- Six Custom Forms Envelopes
To order the kit, call 800-610-8734. Guidelines for packing, addressing and shipping items to U.S. troops can be found at store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/military-care-kit-P_MILITARYKIT. To order flat-rate boxes featuring the “America Supports You” logo, go tousps.com/freeboxes.
Addressing the Package
• Write the service member’s full name
• Include the unit and APO/FPO/DPO address with the 9-digit ZIP Code (if one is assigned).
Army/Air Post Office (APO)
PFC JANE DOE
PSC 3 BOX 4120
APO AE 09021
Fleet Post Office (FPO)
SEAMAN JOSEPH SMITH
UNIT 100100 BOX 4120
FPO AP 96691
Diplomatic Post Office (DPO)
UNIT 8400 BOX 0000
DPO AE 09498-0048
• Do not write the country name where the service member is stationed in the address
• Include a return address
• Inside the box, include the service member’s name and address as well as the sender’s name and address on an index card in case the shipping label gets damaged in transit