(UNDATED) – The following is an update from Duke Energy on Indiana power outages:
Wednesday night’s severe storms caused significant damage across Duke Energy’s Indiana service area, bringing down trees and power lines and breaking dozens of utility poles and other equipment. Two of the hardest-hit areas for Duke Energy crews were Vincennes and Westfield/Carmel.
- Crews have restored power to more than 123,000 Indiana customers and about 10,300 remain without service as of 9 a.m. Friday. Crews continue to make repairs and will not stop until everyone’s back on. Officials expect to restore service to the majority of customers by 11:59 p.m. today to those who can receive service; however many will be restored sooner. Officials appreciate Duke Energy’s customers’ patience as crews work as quickly and safely as possible to get the lights back on for all. This has been a challenging storm at a challenging time.
- There will be some customers that may need to complete repairs to their homes and have inspections completed before we can complete final restoration. As crews respond to make repairs, estimated times of restoration will be updated for customers to inform them of when their specific service will be restored.
- Duke Energy is deeply grateful for their customers’ patience and understanding as crews tackle both the widespread damage and the challenges of working safely and taking all precautions to help protect customers and the community during the pandemic.
- For everyone’s safety in this time of social distancing, officials ask that you keep a safe distance from their crews so they can safely focus on their work. Please call Duke Energy with your questions.
- If you see a fallen power line or safety hazard involving our equipment, call Duke Energy or contact your local emergency services immediately. Do not touch a power line or anything in contact with it and keep others away until help arrives.
- Customers experiencing a power outage can report their outage to us in multiple ways – by phone at 800-343-3525, Duke Energy’s mobile app, online through the company’s website or by texting their outage to 57801.