(UNDATED) – Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) Commissioner Peter L. Lacy announced the following service adjustments included in Executive Order 20-05 issued by Indiana Governor Eric J. Holcomb today, March 19, 2020. The Executive Order can be found here: https://www.in.gov/gov/files/EO_20-05.pdf
These adjustments are designed to assist with the state’s efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and protect BMV employees and the public. In-branch visits to the BMV should be used only when absolutely necessary.
Changes Driven by Executive Order
The following changes will be effective today and remain in place for the next 60 days:
Administrative Penalty Fees Waived (more commonly called late fees)
If a renewal cannot be done online, this change eliminates the need to go to a branch during this emergency time due to the expiration date.
The following administrative penalty fees will be waived:
- $6 for late driver’s license or identification card renewals
- $15 for late vehicle registration renewals
- $30 for late title transactions
- $15 for late ORV and snowmobile registration renewals
- $10 for late salvage titles
Suspend the requirement to operate a branch in each of Indiana’s 92 counties:
This requirement has been waived to address closures due to potential staffing shortages.
Out-of-Branch Transaction and Fee Changes:
The follow changes are operational and will go in to effect immediately and also remain in place for the same 60-day period:
Out-of-Branch Transaction Requirements
The BMV will restrict several transactions to out-of-branch only.
Those transactions include:
- Registration Renewal for Vehicles
- Replacement Documents for: Driver’s Licenses and Identification Cards, Registration and Title
There are several options to complete an out-of-branch transaction including online services through in.gov/BMV, BMV Connect kiosks, phone, and regular mail.
More information including a full list of available transactions can be found on the BMV website: https://www.in.gov/bmv/4363.htm
Due to federal requirements, officials will continue to complete Commercial Driver’s License transactions in branches.
Credit Card Fees for Online Transactions Will Be Waived
Indiana law provides for BMV to collect an online fee to cover the cost of the transaction. The normal fee is $1 plus 1.99% of the transaction. These fees will be waived under these changes.
Operation Changes in Branches
The following operational changes are being made to ensure the safety of the public and BMV employees:
- A BMV employee will be at the entrance of every branch employee will confirm transaction need and limit the number of customers inside the building to 20
- The number of chairs in the lobby will be reduced to reinforce the number of customers
- No more than 20 chairs for customers spaced at least 6 feet apart
- The use of Examiner terminals will be limited to every other terminal
- This provides an empty space between each tester
- Customer Service Representative (CSR) stations will be limited to every other station to provide an empty station between each CSR
- Only one customer may work with a CSR during a transaction
- Special exceptions will be made for customers requiring support
- In-person interviews for open positions are suspended
Information Regarding Daily Branch Operations
At this time, the BMV is not actively closing branches however some branches are closed due to staffing shortages. Our employees are our top priority and some have chosen to use available leave time. We will respect all of those requests and close branches as required. We understand some of these changes may create inconvenience for customers. All of these actions are being taken to provide for the safety of our communities.
The BMV website will be updated regularly with all closures. You can read a full list of modifications, closures, and available services on this page: https://www.in.gov/bmv/4363.htm