Icy Road Conditions Cause Accidents Thursday Night In Lawrence County

(LAWRENCE CO.) – Icy road conditions caused a couple of accidents around 10:30 p.m. Thursday night.

Firefighters from Marion Twp. and Bedford Fire Department worked to free an accident victim on State Road 37 just south of Stevens Lane on Thursday night.

Several vehicles collided on the White River bridge in the northbound lane of State Road 37. The accident prompted the closure of the northbound lane at Old State Road 37. The highway was blocked while emergency crews and wrecker services could clear the accident scene.

Icy road conditions caused motorists problems on Thursday night

Both the northbound and southbound lanes had a layer of ice covering the two bridges. The Bedford Police Department and the Lawrence County Sheriff’s Department worked to slow down the traffic to prevent further accidents. The closure lasted over an hour, prompting motorists to line-up along Old State Road 37 at Hubler Chevrolet until the highway could be re-opened.

The northbound lane of Indiana State Road 37 was closed for over an hour while emergency crews work an accident involving several vehicles on the White River Bridge

Around the same time, there was an accident in the northbound lane of State Road 37 just south of Stevens Lane. A vehicle went over the embankment and the occupant of the vehicle was trapped inside. At this time we do not have an accident report or information on the accident victims’ injuries.

INDOT crews worked to treat roadways after a thin layer of ice developed on Indiana State Road 37

The Marion Township Fire Department, Bedford Fire Department, and AMR Ambulance Service, along with Lawrence County Police and the Mitchell Police Department responded to that accident scene.

Several motorists waited until Indiana State Road 37 opened back up. The motorists waited on Old State Road 37 by Hubler Chevrolet for about an hour before the highway could be re-opened.

The Indiana Department of Transportation was called out to salt and sand the area around the accident scenes. Temperatures at the time of the accidents were 28 degrees and a thin layer of ice could be seen on the roadways from Bedford to Mitchell.