Taxes Confusing? The Indiana Department of Revenue Can Help

(UNDATED) – Taxes are confusing. Not only do you need to have all of your receipts, statements and other documents ready, but you need to know which form to file. Have no fear, the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) is here to answer all of your questions.

Are you filing online using question-based software? That sure makes it easier, but reviewing forms and instructions ahead of time can give you an idea of what to expect and what information to have on hand when it’s time to file your tax return. Officials say, it’s always better to be prepared.

Get ready by checking out the individual tax forms for tax year 2019 (due April 15, 2020) on DOR’s website. Additionally, let’s run through some of the most commonly used Indiana tax forms and when to use them:

Form IT-40 for full-year nonresidents

  • Use Form IT-40 if you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) were full-year Indiana residents.

Form IT-40RNR for full-year residents of reciprocal states

  • Use Form IT-40RNR if you (and your spouse, if filing jointly) were:
    • Full-year residents of Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania or Wisconsin, and
  • The only type of income from Indiana was from wages, tips, salaries or other compensation. If you had any other kinds of Indiana-sourced income, you need to file IT-40PNR.

Form IT-40PNR for part-year and full-year nonresidents

  • Use Form IT-40PNR if you (and your spouse, if filing jointly):
    • Were Indiana residents for less than a full-year or not at all, or
    • Are filing jointly and one spouse was not a full-year Indiana resident, and
    • Do not qualify to file Form IT-40RNR

Form IT-40X for Amended Individual Income Tax Return

  • Use this form if you need to correct (amend) an Indiana individual income tax return that you have already filed.

But wait there’s more – you may also be required to file additional forms or schedules.

For example, you must include Schedule 3 (exemptions), Schedule 7 (additional information), and CT-40 (county taxes) with Form IT-40. If you have dependents, deductions or credits, you will need to include additional schedules.

If you are military personnel or an international student, you have your own set of requirements. Check out the information on the DOR website to determine which forms and schedules to use.

If you have questions on which form or schedule to use for your Indiana individual tax return, visit the DOR website or call DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., EST.