(VEVAY) — A part of a southeastern Indiana town is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Encompassing 275 historic buildings on 100 acres, the Vevay Historic District includes some of Indiana’s finest Greek Revival buildings, according to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Two large brick mansions, the Schenck House and the Grisard House, date to the 1840s. Both stand out for their refined, classically inspired porches and details.
The downtown area of the Ohio River town includes many well-preserved cast iron storefronts. George L. Mesker & Co. in Evansville made most of the storefronts in the 1890s and early 1900s. Other architectural treasures from the 1900s include the town’s original Carnegie library, completed in 1917, which now serves as the town hall.
The listing on the National Register caps a multi-year effort by community activists, local agencies and the DNR’s Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology. Indiana has more than 1,970 listings on the National Register of Historic Places.