(SANTA CLAUS) – The special 2019 Santa Claus holiday postmark is now available at the Santa Claus Post Office. This famous small-town post office is the only one in the world with the Santa Claus name and receives more than 400,000 pieces of mail in December.
The Santa Claus Post Office has offered the special postmark every holiday season since 1983. Each year, a local high school student designs the special picture postmark for use on Christmas cards and other mail from the Santa Claus Post Office during the holiday season.
The 2019 postmark is available only in Santa Claus, Indiana on working days between now and December 24.
This year’s artist is Morgan Vaal, daughter of Tim and Angie Vaal of St. Meinrad, Indiana, and Rhonda Vaal of Santa Claus, Indiana. Morgan is now a freshman at the University of Southern Indiana, where she is pursuing a nursing degree.
“Patrons from all over the world request the Santa Claus holiday postmark. Some drive into town to personally hand cancel their holiday mail with the famous picture postmark and others request the special postmark by mail,” says Postmaster Cheryl Bailey. “The famous Santa Claus postmark is a long-standing tradition for the town and it’s always fun to see the unique artwork each year.”
She asks anyone interested in getting the special cancellation on their holiday mail to follow the guidelines.
SANTA CLAUS POSTMARK GUIDELINES:
- Allow at least a 2-inch by 4-inch space in the stamp area for the picture postmark;
- Apply postage to cards or letters before bringing or mailing them to the post office;
- If you wish to mail Christmas cards to the post office, package them – with postage stamps already on them – in a sturdy envelope or box, and mail to Santa Claus Post Office, P.O. Box 9998, Santa Claus, IN 47579-9998;
- The picture postmark is available on working days between December 2 and 24;
- The picture postmark must be requested by the postal customer;
- To ensure a good postmark imprint, do not enclose large or bulky items in your holiday mail (Ex: reindeer food, snowflakes, glitter, stickers, etc.);
- There is no charge for postmarking; however, there is a limit of 50 picture postmarks (hand cancellations) per person per day.
Santa Claus, Indiana, will host a celebration of family fun on the first three weekends of December. Santa Claus Christmas Celebration events include Chestnut Roasting, Christmas Dinner with Santa, Writing a Letter to Santa, and more each weekend. In addition, special events include the Santa Claus Arts & Crafts Show and Santa Claus Parade on December 14 and the Christmas Lake Village Festival of Lights on December 14 and 21.
Find details about all upcoming events at SantaClausInd.org/Events or call 888-444-9252.