(BEDFORD) – The Claude Akins Memorial Classic was one for the record books with more than 648 golfers and 108 teams participating in the annual Labor Day weekend event.
The complete list of winners from the Claude Akins Memorial Golf Classis have been announced.
“We had to turn people away this year.” according to Golf Pro Taylor Graeter. The six-person scramble offered more than $30,000 in prizes.”
Many of the golfers were regular players for the event. Others were there for the first time, some coming from other states.
Troy Blanton came from Missouri to play in the tournament.
“It is such a beautiful day to be able to play,” he said during the event. “And the golf course is in great shape.”
Proceeds from the tournament have benefited:
- BRF & Claude Akins Scholarships
- Local Special Olympics
- Playground Equipment
- Otis Park Golf Course
- Otis Park Bath House
- Otis Park Junior Golf Program
- Citizen Recognition Awards
- Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence County
Since 2014 the Bedford Recreation Foundation has contributed more than $250,000 in funding to the following organizations:
- Spring 2019 – $75,000 Pledged for a proposed Spray Park at John Lowery Pool
- More than $12,500 in donations to Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence County
- $1750.00 contributed to Lawrence County Aquatics
- Fall 2018 – 12 New Trees Planted at Otis Park (31 Trees in the Last Three Years)
- Fall 2017 – Upgrade to Greens at #11 & #14 & Enlargement of Greens at #2 & #12 at Otis Park
- Materials for the construction of the Jim Flick Golf Practice Facility at Otis Park Golf Course
- Indoor Putting Green for Golf Practice Facility
- $5,000 towards construction materials for Soccer Complex Covered Pavilion
- New Wilson Park Little League Field Scoreboard
- Renovation of Otis Park Stone Picnic Pavilions including new grills
- Purchase of 20’ Diagonal Screen Outdoor Projection System to show movies
- New Sod for #17 Blue Tee plus one load of sand for Bunkers at Otis Park Golf Course
- Materials for new siding, soffit, and fascia for Clubhouse, Cart Barn and Range Ball Building
- $12,000 towards irrigation on Otis Park golf course tee areas
- Red Brick Patio renovations – including concrete, sod, irrigation, and landscaping.
The Bedford Recreation Foundation will be looking at some future projects, which include a possible Splash Pad at John Lowry Memorial Pool. They are also looking to start efforts in restoring the historic stone wall at Otis Park next year.
Bedford Recreation Foundation Board Members include:
- Noah Browning
- Holly Davis
- Joe Elliott
- Tom Elliott
- Barry Jeskewich
- Jessy McKey