(ORLEANS) – Calling all photographers – the last day to enter the Dogwood Festival Photography contest is Friday, April 19.
Photos will be on display starting Monday, April 22nd at the Orleans Public Library during business hours: Mon/Tues/Thurs: 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. and Friday 10 a.m. untl 5 p.m.
There will be a special reception at the Orleans Public Library for the Student Art Show on Wednesday, April 25 from 4 p.m. until 7 p.m.
The Photo Contest display will be available for viewing that evening as well and photographers are welcome to attend if they do so wish.
There are 3 skill levels for you to choose from for your entries:
- Amateur/beginner (Example: This is great if you’re just getting started and use your cell phone camera or a simple point and shoot camera, do little to no editing, take photos for fun, etc)
- Intermediate (Example: If you are comfortable with your photography but do not consider yourself a pro, this level is for you – Especially if you have a Facebook page, only occasionally share/sell your images, use intermediate equipment, edit images, etc)
- Advanced: (Example: This is a great level if you have your own photography business that brings you regular income or exposure, have your own watermark/website, you consider your photography/equipment and editing skills to be advanced, etc)
It will be entirely up to you which level you choose to submit your photos to, but please be honest and accurate with your work. Officials want to welcome all levels of talent and see what everyone is capable of.
Photographers are welcomed and encouraged to print out a small bio/photo for an “About the Photographer” display that can sit next to their entries, but this is not mandatory.
The subjects of your photos can be of your choice – But be sure to include at least ONE Orleans related photo with your entries, as the theme for this year’s Dogwood Festival will be celebrating the renewal and preservation of the Orleans downtown area.
Non-biased out-of-town judges will rate the photos based on several attributes.
There will be a first, second and third place in each entry level as well as several honorable mentions such as:
- Favorite Nature Photo
- Favorite Animal Photo
- Favorite People Photo
- Favorite Black and White Photo
- Favorite Orleans Related Photo
- People’s Choice award OVERALL will be voted upon by a quarter a vote from the public. – This contest is for Orleans/surrounding townships residents only.
There will be a $1 entry fee for EACH photo that you submit.
Entries should be limited to no more than 5 photographs per person.
You may only submit photos to the one level that best suits you and your photos.
Officials will assume with any photo of a person that you as the photographer have been given permission by the subject to submit your photo. Please be responsible! All photos must be no smaller than a 5×7 and must be framed or matted. Entries should include the name and telephone number of the photographer, as well as the level of choice for judging. This can be done with a sticky note on the back of the frame or mat. People should not submit a photo unless they are the photographer.
Photos may be dropped off at The Orleans Public Library.
Photos can be picked up at the Orleans Public Library either on parade day from 10 a.m. until 1 p..m only or the following week. Any remaining photos will be taken off display to be claimed. Photos MUST be picked up within the following week.
All questions should be submitted to contest chair Katlin Phillips. She can be contacted at 812-653-8877; (texting is okay), or by e-mail at email@example.com.