Still Have Not Received Your W2 – Find Out What’s Next

(UNDATED) – Most Hoosiers received their W-2 Form, by early February, as employers are required to send them by the January 31st deadline.

Individuals need their W-2s to file an accurate tax return, as the form shows your income and taxes withheld for the year. So what do you do if you still haven’t received your W-2?
DOR suggests taking the following steps:
1. Contact Your Employer: Ask your current employer or former employer for a copy of your W-2. Be sure the employer has the correct address to mail the W-2, as this type of mail is often not forwarded by the Post Office.
2. Call the IRS: If you are unable to get a copy from your employer you may call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for a substitute W-2. The IRS will send a letter to the employer on your behalf. When you call, be sure to have the following ready:

  • Name, address, Social Security number, and phone number
  • Employer’s name, address and phone number
  • Employment dates
  • Estimate of wages and federal income tax withheld in 2018. Use a final pay stub for these amounts.

3. File on Time: You should file your tax return by the April 15 deadline. If, you have still not received your W-2 by this date, use the Substitute for Form W-2 (Form 4852). To request more time to file, please use the federal form Form 4868, which is the Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File.
4. Correct a Tax Return, if necessary: It is possible you may need to correct your tax return. This could happen if you receive a missing W-2, after you have filed your state and federal taxes. If the tax information on the W-2 is different from what you first reported, you may need to file an amended tax return.