(INDIANAPOLIS) – Commissioner Rick J. Ruble recognized eight Hoosier companies and four individuals for exemplary workplace safety practices and advocacy during the annual Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards luncheon in Indianapolis.
Held at the Indiana Convention Center, the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards Luncheon was part of the 2019 Indiana Safety and Health Conference. The annual event is hosted by the Indiana Chamber of Commerce and Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers in partnership with the Indiana Department of Labor.
“Safety compliance and advocacy are paramount to ensuring employees go home to their families safe and sound each day, and that is our first and foremost goal,” said Rick Ruble, commissioner of the Indiana Department of Labor. “Indiana has a strong culture of workplace safety and health, and that is because of the kind of diligence we see from companies and individuals honored here today.
Indiana companies were recognized in the following categories: Education and Outreach, Innovations, Partnerships, and Rising Star. The 2019 Governor’s Workplace Safety Award recipients are:
- Gribbins Insulation – Education & Outreach
- FCA US LLC Kokomo Transmission Plant – Innovations, Large-size Company
- Lehigh Cement Company LLC – Mitchell Plant – Innovations, Medium-size company
- Sustainable Sourcing LLC – Partnerships
- Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC), Crane Division – Rising Star, Large-size company
- MasterBrand Cabinets, Inc. – Huntingburg Operations – Rising Star, Medium-size company
- Univertical LLC – Rising Star, Small-size company
“Providing a safe and healthy workplace is of the greatest importance for companies across Indiana. Not only are the organizations honored today ensuring that their greatest asset – their workforce – is able to work productively and profitably, but they are ensuring that safety and health are prioritized,” says Indiana Chamber President and CEO Kevin Brinegar. “We are pleased to recognize these company leaders for their hard work and dedication to protecting their employees.”
The Everyday Safety Hero Award recognized those Hoosiers who have championed workplace safety and health excellence in their respective workplaces. Individuals, who may not be safety and health professionals, were nominated by their peers or organizations. Winners were selected based on a narrative provided by their respective nominators.
Winners of the Everyday Safety Hero Award are:
- Kurt Farrell, Chesterton Unit Foreman at the Indiana Department of Transportation in LaPorte, Indiana
- Alex Grannan, Human Resources Manager at Blue River Wood Products, of Salem, Indiana
- Rob Green, Facility Manager at Univertical, of Angola, Indiana
- Robert Sheffield, Press Operator at Printpack, of Bloomington, Indiana
The annual Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards are a result of a partnership among government, business, and safety leaders including the Indiana Department of Labor on behalf of Gov. Eric J. Holcomb, the Indiana Chamber of Commerce, and the Central Indiana Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers.
To learn more about the Governor’s Workplace Safety Awards program, please visit www.in.gov/dol/2381.htm. For more information about the Indiana Safety and Health Conference, please visit www.insafetyconf.com.
About the Indiana Department of Labor:
The mission of the Indiana Department of Labor is to advance the safety, health, and prosperity of Hoosiers in the workplace. In order to make significant strides, we emphasize both enforcement and compliance assistance by employers. www.in.gov/dol
About the Indiana Chamber of Commerce:
The Indiana Chamber of Commerce partners with 25,000 members and investors – representing over four million Hoosiers – to achieve the mission of “cultivating a world-class environment which provides economic opportunity and prosperity.” www.indianachamber.com