(INDIANAPOLIS) – The Indiana State Library and the Indiana Arts Commission announced the return of the Poetry Out Loud State Finals to the Indiana State Library on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Several local students will be participating including, Madalyn Pedigo of West Washington Jr./Sr. High School in Campbellsburg, Lucia Walker of Bloomington South High School in Bloomington, Rebecca Moore of Columbus Signature Academy New Tech High School in Columbus and Marna Davis of Forest Park Jr./Sr. High School in Ferdinand.
The library is located at 140 N. Senate Ave. in downtown Indianapolis. The program begins at 9 a.m. and is expected to last until mid-afternoon. The public is invited to attend this free event. Adrian Matejka, Indiana State Poet Laureate, will be a featured speaker.
The national Poetry Out Loud program encourages the study of great poetry by offering educational materials and a dynamic recitation competition to high school students across the country. The competition invites the powerful facets of slam poetry, spoken word, and theater into the classroom and helps students build self-confidence, master public speaking and learn about literary tradition.
The state champion receives a $200 cash prize and an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete in the Poetry Out Loud National Finals in April. The state champion’s school receives a $500 stipend to purchase poetry books. A total of $50,000 in scholarship awards and school stipends will be awarded at the Poetry Out Loud National Finals, with a $20,000 college scholarship awarded to the national champion.
Other participants include:
- Lauren Lutz of Lapel High School in Lapel
- Stefany Benegas of Pike High School in Indianapolis
- Joshua Fisher of Warsaw Community High School in Warsaw
- Coen Formanek of Monroe Central Jr./Sr. High School in Parker City
- Adam Freeland of Franklin Community High School in Franklin
- Lauren Jordanich of La Lumiere School in La Porte
- Zoe Moore of Homestead High School in Fort Wayne
- Sarah Naidu of University High School in Carmel
- Sophaia Prabhu-Hensley of Herron High School in Indianapolis
- Lila Ward of Eagle Tech Academy in Columbia City
- Madeline Woodrow of Franklin Central High School in Indianapolis.
Poetry Out Loud is a partnership between the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation. The Indiana Arts Commission and the Indiana State Library are partners in presenting the Indiana Poetry Out Loud competition. For more information about the Indiana Poetry Out Loud competition, visit the state library’s Poetry Out Loud website. For general information about the national program and competition, visit the Poetry Out Loud website.