(BEDFORD) – North Lawrence Community Schools received notification that the corporation will be able to provide free meals, both breakfast and lunch, to all enrolled in-person students beginning Thursday, October 1, 2020.
“We are hoping to be able to run the program through December 31, 2020 which is subject to available funding through the Department of Education,” said Superintendent Dr. Ty Mungle. “The temprorary funding we are accessing is a new waiver that was recently approved for the Summer Food Service program, operated under the United States Department of Agriculture.”
What does it mean?
- Breakfast and Lunch will operate as they have in the past
- No action required of families to participate in this free meal program
- Students will still use their meal accounts so officials can track who is eating and avoid allergy issues.
- Students will be charged for seconds, all la carte items, and extra milk
- All money that is currently in meal accounts will remain in those accounts to be used for student meals after December 31, 2020
Even though students will receive free meals at this time, it is recommended all families that are eligible to complete an application for the free/reduced meal program and textbook assistance. A link is located on the main page of NLCS website and under the ‘Families’ button.
“We are excited to bring this program to North Lawrence Community Schools families to help provide financial relief during this extraordinary time,” said Mungle.