Gas Leak May Have Sparked Second Residential Fire On Oak Street

(MITCHELL ) – A gas leak may have sparked a fire at 1132 West Oak Street in Mitchell.

The alarm came in around 11:10 p.m. Tuesday, which would make this the second house fire within 24 hours on Oak Street. Another home at 623 Oak Street was destroyed in a blaze reported at 7:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Mitchell and Marion Township Fire Departments responded to 1132 West Oak Street in Mitchell Tuesday night

Mitchell and Marion Township Fire Departments were dispatched to emergency medical runs just before the fire was reported.

This allowed the fire departments to arrive at the scene quickly to extinguish the fire.

Firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control.

“Back in December the gas company notified us that our gas bill was higher than normal. And we kept smelling gas; however, no problem was ever located. Everything checked out fine then,” said homeowner Kelly Morris.

“I was just about ready to go to bed and lit a cigarette when I heard a loud boom and the door came off the hinges,” stated Daniel Guirkins, who was also staying at the home.

Tuesday night’s blaze would make the second fire on Oak Street within 24 hours.

Both Morris and Guirkins were able to escape the home uninjured in addition to their seven dogs.

“We are just thankful that no one was injured,” Morris added.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire quickly but the home sustained fire, smoke, and water damage. Most of the damage from the fire was confined to a bedroom. Firefighters did made sure the fire did not extend into the attic and that the blaze was completely out.

The Mitchel Fire Department was assisted by Marion Township Fire Department, IU Health Ambulance Service Bedford, AMR Ambulance Service, and Mitchell Police Department.

No individuals from the fire department were available to provide any additional information regarding the blaze.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Share:
Tagged