(BEDFORD) – The Bedford Recreation Foundation presents the Claude Akins Memorial Golf Classic August 31 – September 1 at Otis Park Golf Course.
The six-person scramble offers more than $30,000 in prizes. Play will begin at 7:15 a.m. with afternoon rounds starting at 1:15 p.m. both days.
The Claude Akins Memorial Golf Classic tournament is held annually in the memory of Claude Akins in Bedford. The funds received from the ceremony are provided as the Bedford Recreation Foundation Scholarship and also as Akins Scholarship to the graduate students of Bedford North High School. The funds are also utilized for various projects that include recreation and developments.
Claude Akins was an American actor and was raised in Bedford. He was born on 25 May 1926 and died due to cancer at the age of 67 on January 27, 1994. His parents were Ernest Marion Akins and Anna Maude Akins. His father was a policeman by profession and mother was a simple housewife. His father was actually a stonecutter before he was in the police.
He spent his life as an actor for a long time on television, stage and film industry. Akins is mostly recognized for his role in the TV series titled B. J. and the Bear as Sheriff Lobo, and later in a spin-off series entitled The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. He is also remembered for his role in a TV series Movin’ On by NBC.
“The 2018 Tournament was a big success with more than $40,000 raised,” says Joe Elliot, who helps organize the event. “Not only does the Bedford Recreation Foundation strive to provide a first-class golf tournament for everyone’s enjoyment but most importantly the funds raised by this event are at work helping to enhance the quality of life in our community. Your generous support of this tournament will allow this organization the opportunity to continue our mission of contributing to important and worthwhile projects that not only we can enjoy but, future generations can benefit from.”
There will be a team, an individual hole, hole-in-one, and weekend grand prizes and a Weekend Par 3 Shoot-out and putting contest.
Proceeds from the tournament have benefitted:
- BRF & Claude Akins Scholarships
- Local Special Olympics
- Playground Equipment
- Otis Park Golf Course
- Otis Park Bath House
- Otis Park Junior Golf Program
- Citizen Recognition Awards
- Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence County
Since 2014 the Bedford Recreation Foundation has contributed more than $250,000 in funding to the following organizations:
- Spring 2019 – $75,000 Pledged for Proposed Spray Park at John Lowery Pool
- More than $12,500 in donations to Boys & Girls Club of Lawrence County
- $1750.00 contributed to Lawrence County Aquatics
- Fall 2018 – 12 New Trees Planted at Otis Park (31 Trees in the Last Three Years)
- Fall 2017 – Upgrade to Greens at #11 & #14 & Enlargement of Greens at #2 & #12 at Otis Park
- Materials for the construction of the Jim Flick Golf Practice Facility at Otis Park Golf Course
- Indoor Putting Green for Golf Practice Facility
- $5,000 towards construction materials for Soccer Complex Covered Pavilion
- New Wilson Park Little League Field Scoreboard
- Renovation of Otis Park Stone Picnic Pavilions including new grills
- Purchase of 20’ Diagonal Screen Outdoor Projection System to show movies
- New Sod for #17 Blue Tee plus one load of sand for Bunkers at Otis Park Golf Course
- Materials for new siding, soffit, and fascia for Clubhouse, Cart Barn and Range Ball Building
- $12,000 towards irrigation on Otis Park golf course tee areas
- Red Brick Patio renovations – including concrete, sod, irrigation, and landscaping.
But none of this can be done without sponsors.
These are the sponsorships available:
Patron – $500
▪ One 18- round of golf with six golfers
▪ You or your company name on the Leaderboard at Otis Park for the entire year
▪ Recognition in the Times Mail and WBIW.com
▪ Recognition in the tournament brochure
Hole – $150
- You or your company name on an individual sign located on a respective hole for the entire tournament
- Recognition in the Times Mail and WBIW.com
- Recognition in the tournament brochure
Prize – $50
Make checks payable to the Bedford Recreation Foundation Inc.
For questions regarding sponsorship or the Golf Classic contact Tom Elliott or Joe S. Elliott at 812-275-3363.
Please return your completed form & check by August 23, 2019
Forms & Checks can be mailed to Indiana Steel & Engineering Corp., c/o Golf Tournament, PO Box 668, Bedford, IN 47421