TERRE HAUTE — Competitive eating icon Joey Chestnut will spend his upcoming 4th of July holiday on probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor battery stemming from a drunken bar altercation in Indiana earlier this year.

Despite his impending legal restrictions, the 17-time Nathan’s Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest champion is still scheduled to make a major, high-profile public appearance right here in the Wabash Valley this coming Memorial Day weekend.
According to court records, the 43-year-old food personality was arrested following a March 21 incident at Joe’s Grill in Indiana. An affidavit reveals that a fan recognized Chestnut and approached him for a friendly handshake just before 2:00 a.m.
After the handshake, Chestnut reportedly “changed his tone,” pulled the victim forward, and slapped him across the left side of his face with an open hand.
When questioned by law enforcement the following day, Chestnut admitted he was “pretty drunk and didn’t remember” the altercation. However, after police showed him the bar’s surveillance footage—which captured Chestnut striking the man and standing over him aggressively—Chestnut noted it “looked like a joke” but conceded he must have taken offense to something that was said.
On April 20, Chestnut pleaded guilty to a lesser-included charge of Class B misdemeanor battery. He was sentenced to 180 days of probation, which is set to conclude in October.
“Joey regrets engaging and the interaction being misinterpreted,” Chestnut’s management team said in a statement. “He strives to always connect in a fun manner with fans… He’s committed to avoiding being in those situations going forward.” His attorney, Mario Massillamany, emphasized that Chestnut took full responsibility by pleading to one of the lowest-level misdemeanor offenses under Indiana law.
Because his 180-day probation lasts through the fall, Chestnut will need to maintain strict “best behavior” during his highly anticipated return to the Nathan’s 4th of July Hot Dog Eating Contest in Coney Island, Brooklyn.
Chestnut was famously banned from the 2024 Nathan’s event due to a conflicting sponsorship deal with plant-based meat brand Impossible Foods. He made a triumphant return to the corner of Surf and Stillwell avenues last summer, capturing his 17th Mustard Yellow Belt after devouring 70.5 hot dogs.
Before he locks his focus on hot dogs, Chestnut is coming to Terre Haute this holiday weekend to headline a massive community event.
On Monday, May 25, Chestnut will appear at the Rural King located at 4651 South U.S. Highway 41 to officially launch a first-of-its-kind nationwide “Popcorn Challenge” qualifier series. The festival celebrates Rural King’s long-standing tradition of offering free popcorn to its patrons, turning it into a multi-state competition that will culminate in a national championship in January 2027.

Chestnut is a familiar face to the Terre Haute crowd. During last year’s Memorial Day appearance at the same location, the eating legend shattered his own world record by successfully inhaling 42 servings of popcorn in just eight minutes.
The event kicks off at 9:00 a.m. this Monday, with the main eating competition scheduled for 11:00 a.m. Local snack enthusiasts have until Friday, May 22, to register to compete across two brackets: the “Skill Division” (a lower-intensity, festival-style challenge) and the “Power Division” (a traditional speed-eating contest). The winner of the Power Division will take home a $500 Rural King gift card and a ticket to the national finals.
While admission to see the world record holder is free to the general public, organizers note that tickets are strictly required for entry and must be reserved online in advance.


