Hoosiers can apply for assistance to help with their utility costs

INDIANA – As Hoosiers head into the coldest weeks of the season, you can apply for assistance to help with their utility costs, including household water expenses. 

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) provides a one-time annual benefit that can assist you with the high cost of home energy and can help if you are about to get disconnected. An EAP benefit will not cover all of your annual heating and electrics costs, so you should continue to pay your bills regularly as you are able. Click here to access the online application for utility assistance.

When you complete the EAP application, check the box that you want to receive water assistance as well. The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) is a temporary emergency water/wastewater program to help households and families during the COVID-19 pandemic.  Families may receive a one-time benefit for eligible households who have been disconnected or are on disconnect notice from water/wastewater services or arrearages for water/wastewater services.

For assistance and/or questions about the Energy Assistance and/or Water Assistance programs, please contact the Community Programs team at LIHEAP@ihcda.in.gov or call 2-1-1.