BEDFORD – The Wilson Park Shelter House will receive a face-lift in the upcoming weeks. MattCon Construction will make improvements to the exterior of the building including the replacement of wood and guttering.
The total cost of the project is $28,481.
Parks Director Jimmy Jones updated the Bedford Parks Board on other maintenance projects that are taking place throughout the park system.
Those projects include striping the parking lot at Thornton Park, installing a new roof on the building at the horseshoe pits at Wilson Park, and maintenance work will be completed at the Otis Park Golf Course.
The Parks Department received a complaint about the parking curbs at the basketball goals at Thornton Park. The curbs were moved 2 feet to address the concern.
In other business:
- Hoosier Hills Credit Union employees will be at the Beech Grove Cemetery to help with beautification efforts. Residents are reminded that flowers or shrubbery are not to be planted at the Beech Grove Cemetery. Only saddles and shepherd hooks are permitted.
- The Bedford Parks Car Show, partnering with WQRK, held on Sept. 11th was a success. There were 75 cars entered with 31 awards were given out. .
- This months Park Outdoor series was held at the Community Gardens. Lawrence County Soil and Water provided a presentation/workshop on cover crops.
- On October 12th, the parks department will be taking a group to the Mansfield Covered Bridge Festival. The bus will depart at 7:00 a.m. the cost is $25 and you must register in advance at the Bedford Parks Department office.
- The Annual Fall Break Fun Day will be held on October 14th at Thornton Park. There will be games, activities and a free meal for all who attend. The event is sponsored by Bedford Federal Savings Bank.
- Fall softball season is scheduled to conclude on October 7, and basketball and volleyball programs schedules are still being determined due to COVID concerns.
Events hosted in August included:
- Curt Gilstrap with 27 teams competing
- BNL High School Basketball Invite with 28 teams
- Claude Akins had a total of 600 teams – winners can pick up their prizes at Indiana Steel on J Street
Future projects and planned events include:
- September 28, 2021 the aerification of the back nine will take place
- October 3 – Bedford Firefighters Golf Scramble
- October 5, 202 the aerfication of the front nine will take place