BARTHOLOMEW CO. – This morning at approximately 2:14 a.m., Bartholomew County Sheriff’s deputies responded to the area of East County Road 250 North and North County Road 500 East in reference to a structural fire.
On arrival, deputies located a fully engulfed building on the east side of the roadway. The structure was an 1892 one-room schoolhouse.
The schoolhouse sat on a farm near Petersville. There have been reports of vandalism and trespassing at the building over the years according to those living close to the location.
Fire departments arrived and extinguished the fire. There were no injuries.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Also responding to the scene were Clay Township Fire Department, Columbus Township Fire Department, Clifford Fire Department, and Columbus Regional Hospital EMS.