UNDATED – This year Salem High School Future Farmers of America Team 2 placed first in the 2021 Indiana Envirothon Regional Competitions South-central region and will be participating in the state contest.
The team consisted of Chloey Sabens, Aiden Minton, Jacob Rose, Haylie Walker, and Zion Dunaway.
The top-scoring teams for each region are as follows:
- South Central – Salem High School FFA 2
- Northwest – South Central High School-Union Mills Founding Farmers
- Southwest – Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools FFA 2West
- Central – Vigo County School CorporationTerre Haute South Vigo High School Team 2
- Northeast – Adams Central Community Schools FFA
In addition to the top teams for each of the five regions, the following teams will also be advancing to the Indiana Envirothon State Competition:
- Trinity Lutheran High School Team 1
- Clay City High School Climate
- Terre Haute South Vigo High School Rockin Raptors
- Mitchell High School
- La Porte High School
Envirothon is an exciting, fun way for high school students to learn about the environment and the issues facing current and future generations. Teams of five students (grades 9-12), representing a school or organization, compete at Indiana Envirothon contests by answering questions and by studying resource problems in each of the five environmental areas which include: soils/land use, aquatic ecology, wildlife, forestry, and a current environmental issue.
For the state contest, the members are asked to write a research paper and make a video presentation over an integrated water management plan to address water resource management in their community.
Results of the state competition will be announced on April 30.