INDIANAPOLIS – Twenty-three judges and lawyers who applied for an opening on the Court of Appeals of Indiana will be interviewed by the Judicial Nominating Commission May 13-14 in person.
Thursday, May 13
- 11:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Executive Session
- 11:30 a.m. – 11:50 a.m. – Hon. Lisa L. Swaim
- 11:50 a.m. – 12:10 p.m. – Ms. Patricia P. McCrory
- 12:10 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Hon. Timothy W. Oakes
- 12:45 p.m. – 1:05 p.m. – Ms. Cynthia E. Lasher
- 1:05 p.m. – 1:25 p.m. – Mr. Zachary J. Stock
- Lunch and Executive Session
- 2:25 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. – Hon. Brant J. Parry
- 2:45 p.m. – 3:05 p.m. – Hon. Heather A. Welch
- 3:05 p.m. – 3:25 p.m. – Ms. Stephanie K. Bibbs
- 3:40 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. – Hon. Paul A. Felix
- 4:00 p.m. – 4:20 p.m. – Hon. Kurt M. Eisgruber
- 4:20 p.m. – 4:40 p.m. – Ms. Elizabeth C. Green
- 4:40 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. – Executive Session
Friday, May 14
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. – Executive Session
- 9:30 a.m. – 9:50 a.m. – Mr. Stephen R. Creason
- 9:50 a.m. – 10:10 a.m. – Mr. Patrick W. Price10:10 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Mr. Derek R. Molter
- 10:45 a.m. – 11:05 a.m. – Mr. Brad A. Catlin
- 11:05 a.m. – 11:25 a.m. – Hon. Gary L. Miller
- 11:25 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Hon. Patricia C. McMath
- Lunch and Executive Session
- 1:00 p.m. – 1:20 p.m. – Hon. Mark K. Dudley
- 1:20 p.m. – 1:40 p.m. – Hon. James A. Joven
- 1:40 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Mr. Paul C. Sweeney
- 2:15 p.m. – 2:35 p.m. – Hon. Faith A. Graham
- 2:35 p.m. – 2:55 p.m. – Hon. Jonathan M. Brown
- 2:55 p.m. – 3:15 p.m. – Mr. Bryce D. Owens
- 3:30 p.m. – Deliberations in Executive Session, followed by public vote to select semi-finalists
The May interviews are open to the public; should adjustments be required based on social-distancing measures, the public will be notified. The interviews will be held in the Fuse East Conference Room on the second floor of the South Tower at Capital Center (201 N. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46204). Due to social distancing, there will be limited in-person seating. Media interested in attending should contact Kathryn Dolan to inquire about reserving a seat.
Members of the audience are asked to refrain from activities that might distract from the interview process. The following guidelines are in place:
- Only enter and exit between interviews
- Recording equipment will be set up between interviews (no mult box provided)
- Artificial lighting shall not be used
- Questioning of the applicants is reserved for the Commission
- Media/public may interview the applicants before/after Commission’s interview outside the interview room at the applicant’s discretion
Applications, along with writing samples, transcripts, and letters of recommendation are a matter of public record now that the Commission has announced the interview schedule. Redacted applications are available online.
A second round of interviews will take place at a later date. Following the interviews, the Commission will publicly vote to select the three most qualified candidates in an executive session and submit them to Governor Eric Holcomb, who has 60 days from receiving the list to select Indiana’s next Court of Appeals judge.
The vacancy is the result of the retirement of Court of Appeals Judge James S. Kirsch in the Fall of 2021. According to the Indiana Constitution and state statute, the seven-member Judicial Nominating Commission must recruit and select candidates to fill vacancies on Indiana appellate courts. With Chief Justice Loretta H. Rush as chair, the Commission includes three lawyers elected by their peers and three citizen-members appointed by the Governor.