MITCHELL – The Mitchell Community Schools are preparing for summer school this year.
The school board approved plans for the Mitchell Junior High School and Mitchell High school summer school programs during their meeting Monday night.
The state will reimburse the corporation at 105 percent.
Hatfield and Burris have yet to submit their plans for this year’s summer session.
This year with COVID-19 many students struggled more with no in-class instruction. The school corporation plans to make this year’s summer programs exciting and fun for the students.
Superintendent Dr. Brent Comer updated board members on the ESSER II (Elementary and Secondary Emergency Relief) grant funding. More than one million dollars were awarded to the school corporation. The school corporation plans to spend the money on programs the school can sustain once the grant funding dries up.
School board members also were advised on the $25,000 keyless entry project. All of the buildings in the corporation will have keyless entry. There will be upfront and monthly costs with this project.
Stakeholders have met with the architects on the capital improvement project advising them on what, and how they would like to see their classrooms and buildings look like. School board members will be updated on the results during their April meeting.
In other business the Board:
- Closed out the Class of 2017 and 2018 funds and transferred those amounts to other funds
- Opened the Class of 2021 and 2022 fund accounts
- Approved an incentive for second-semester students for attendance. If a student does not miss more than five days this semester the student will not have to take final exams.
- Approved the overnight stay for the Mitchell High School Dance Team for the Indiana High School Dance State finals at Lafayette Jefferson High School.
- Megan Mishler – Mitchell High School Assistant Softball Coach effective February 16, 2021
- Mike Matthews – Mitchell High School Girls Track Coach effective February 26, 2021
- Kevin Giggy – Mitchell High School ELA Teacher – Effective June 1 – June 25, 2021
- Mike Matthews – Mitchell High School Math Teacher – Effective June 1 -June 25, 2021
- Ada Reynolds – Mitchell High School Special Education and Credit Recovery teacher – effective June 1 -June 25, 2021
- Patty Phelps – Mitchell High School Summer School Virtual and Credit Recovery staff – effective June 1 – June 25, 2021
- Jessica Adams – Contracted Occupational Therapist – effective for the 2021-2022 school year
- Karen Sims – Contracted Physical Therapist – effective 2021 – 2022 school year
- Judy Cross – Contracted Physical Therapist – effective for the 2021-2022 school year
Extra Curricular Employment:
- Scott Saunders – 5th/6th-grade Volleyball coach – effective 2020-2021 school year
- Logan Gore – Varsity Co-Assistant Baseball coach – effective 2020-2021 school year
- Danny Reynolds – Varsity Co-Assistant Baseball coach – effective 2020-2021 school year
- Brian McIntosh – Varsity Assistant Softball Coach – effective 2020 -2021 school year
Transfers: Kim Wray from Hatfield 2nd grade to Hatfield Instructional coach effective March 9, 2021.