(UNDATED) – A Columbus man is in custody in connection to the U.S. Capitol riots on January 6th.
The FBI Indianapolis office announced Jon Ryan Schaffer, a guitarist and songwriter with the heavy-metal band Iced Earth, turned himself in around 3 p.m. Sunday in Indianapolis.
Schaffer is facing six charges including engaging in an act of physical violence. They say he allegedly used bear spray against Capitol Police.
- Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority
- Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business
- Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds
- Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building
- Engage in an Act of Physical Violence in a Capitol Building
- Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building
Schaffer’s photo was on the FBI Most Wanted page with him wearing a cap of the armed militia group Oath Keepers’ logo on it.
Bandmate Luke Appleton posted on Facebook that the band does not condone or support the riots or acts of violence.
“We are deeply saddened and our hearts go out to the families of the lives lost that day,” he posted.