(BEDFORD) – The Bedford Parks Department board was provided updates on several projects that are currently underway.
Construction on the Red Brick is on hold so the insurance company can complete another assessment on the damage that was discovered during the removal of the walls in the kitchen area. Once the assessment is complete, officials will seek bids for those repairs.
A new irrigation system at Otis will be installed. The new system will allow the maintenance crews to turn the system on and off with their cell phones.
Work on the maintenance building continues and the shelter house at Otis Park has been painted.
Golf Pro John Bertges gave an update on Otis Park:
- Added new range balls and removed all the older worn out golf balls
- New yardage flags with varying distances will be installed soon on the driving range
- Temporary Yamaha golf cart replacements are available for the time being until the new fleet arrives.
- Golf Shop hours are from 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (weather permitting). First tee time will be at 9:00 a.m. provided there is no frost.
- Otis Park is observing state requirements for COVID-19. Mask is required in the golf shop. Designated signage is throughout the premises. Hand sanitizers are provided at the shop counter and both men’s and women’s restrooms.
- The golf shop will be closed on Thanksgiving Day.
- New Otis Park logo apparel and other goods will be in the shop in the next few weeks for the holidays. Check for a posting soon on the Otis Park Golf Course Facebook page for Black Friday deals and announcements.
Letters from Santa
The Letters from Santa program has started this holiday season. Bedford Federal Savings Bank will help sponsor this year’s program.
“We are anticipating a large number of participants this year,” said Gary Dorsett. The deadline to request letters for children is November 30th. Individuals can contact our office to get the form to fill out and return.”
The athletic and winter programs are normally in full swing this time of year. However, according to Dorsett all winter programs and events are on hold.
“We plan to possibly start and have an abbreviated session for our winter programs when the school facilities allow,” said Dorsett.
The parks board approved the following:
- Otis Men’s Club Outing on December 12th
- 2021 Facility Agreement was approved (see fee schedule below)
- The budget reductions for 2020 include $150,000 to help with the budget in 2021. The John Lowery Pool was closed this year which helped reduce expenses in 2020.
Park Facilities Can Be Rented a Year in Advance
Park facilities may be reserved up to one year in advance of the rental date; however, the rental fee shall be in effect on the rental date not when the facility is reserved by the lessee.
A security deposit in an amount equal to the rental fee shall be paid at the time of reservation and the rental fee shall be due and payable at key pickup.
If payment is not received by the Parks Department by the rental date, the Lessee shall forfeit their deposit and the rental date. All current rental fees are posted at the Bedford Parks Department office and on the City of Bedford website.
Example of the 1 year in advance renting: On June 4, 2021, you can call in and reserve through June 4, 2022.
Fees for Shelter Rental in 2021 include:
- Wilson Park – $75 deposit and $75 rental
- Thornton Park – $50 deposit and $50 rental
- Community Concourse – $75 deposit and $75 rental
- Bath House – $85 deposit and $85 rental
- Otis Park Shelter – $50 deposit and $50 rental
- Milwaukee Depot – $250 deposit and $250 rental
- Red Brick – $150 deposit and $150 rental
- The Red Brick will not be available to rent, until completion of the fire restoration.