Court Of Appeals Upholds Kyle Schneider’s Murder Conviction

(DUBOIS CO.) – The Court of Appeal of Indiana has upheld the conviction of Kyle Schneider.

Dubois County Circuit Court Judge Nathan Verkamp sentenced Kyle Schneider to 85-years in prison for the stabbing death of 23-year-old Chloie Lubbehusen on January 11, 2019 at a house near St. Anthony.

Kyle Schneider

He also received an additional six years in prison on a charge of possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon – making his total sentence 91 years in prison.

Chloie Lubbehusen

Schneider appealed his convictions saying the trial court abused its discretion in admitting and excluding evidence and instructing the jury by failing to give the jury an instruction of reckless homicide.

The Court’s Ruling

After reviewing the evidence the Appeals Court affirmed Schneider’s conviction stating Schneider stabbed Lubbehusen 10 times.

“Twice in the head with enough force to penetrate her skull and brain and in the back of the neck with enough force to penetrate her spine and compress her spinal cord.”

“Stabbing a victim multiple times in the head and chest is evidence of an awareness of a high probability that the victim will be killed. Based on this evidence, there was no serious evidentiary dispute permitting the jury to find that Schneider recklessly but not knowingly killed Lubbenusen.”

The Crime

On February 11, 2019 Dubois County deputies responded to the scene at 8:26 a.m. after neighbors found Lubbehusen bleeding from the face on the porch. She was rushed by ambulance to Memorial Hospital and Health Care Center where she died from her injuries.

According to the Dubois County Coroner Bob Veatch, preliminary autopsy results indicate she bled to death.

Deputies say that they found a bloody knife in the living room of the home. They then searched the area for Schneider.

According to the probable cause affidavit, police found Schneider naked, except for a pair of socks, in a neighbor’s garage lying on the floor with blood on his hands.

According to Indiana State Police Detective Brock Werne, Schneider was ordered to show his hands. He then shouted, “do not shoot me. I want to tell you my side of the story.”

Deputies say Schneider seemed agitated, angry and very disoriented. After deputies put Schneider in a police car, they say he rolled down the window and said, “have you ever killed anybody?” The deputy said, “no,” and deputies say he stated, “this would be my first.”

According to the affidavit, Schneider kept rambling and asking deputies random questions on the way to the jail.

When deputies asked Schneider to give them a timeline of events, he continued to yell incoherently.

Schneider told the police that he and Lubbehusen had an altercation but could not remember anything else other then that he stabbed Lubbehusen multiple times. He did not have an explanation for his actions.