(BEDFORD) – North Lawrence Community Schools are ready for students to return.
During Thursday nights school board meeting Shelly Prichett with the North Lawrence Learning Center Playful Pathways Program made a presentation about the upcoming school year.
The program, which will be held at Stalker School, will help pre-school aged children get prepared for their future educational experiences.
During her presentation, she said she was very excited about the new program and Superintendent Dr. Ty Mungle invited school board members to join him and staff members at Stalker School to see the new classrooms.
The school board also approved the North Lawrence Community School Staff Handbook after working with JA Benefits to address FLMA issues in order to bring the handbook up to Indiana code.
Many of the concerns of staff on benefits and rate of pay were addressed by Mrs. Roane, JA Benefits and Dr. Mungle after conducting several meetings with department heads and staff.
Dr. Mungle says the corporation will continue to monitor the athletic programs at the middle schools after some facilities have chosen to open later in the year. He says some games might have to be postponed.
Teachers are getting ready to be trained on procedures for the re-opening of schools. A person at the administration office will be appointed to monitor the situation with COVID-19 and a person at each of the NLCS buildings will be monitoring those facilities. Those designated to monitor buildings will report the information to the administration and local health officials.
Teachers will also be given preparation on what will be required of them and students should the corporation move to all virtual format.
The Empire Virtual Academy now has more than 800 students enrolled in the new format and is expected to grow as time progresses.
The school board approved the following personnel changes:
New Hires – Certified:
- Molly Chastain – Needmore Instructor effective August 7, 2020.
- Laura DeBrunner – NLCS Music Instructor effective August 7, 2020.
- Ashley Singh – Playful Pathways Developmental Preschool Special Education Instructor effective August 7, 2020.
New Hires – Support Staff:
- Allison Kovacs – BNL Nurse effective August 10, 2020.
- Kasey Berger – Shawswick Instructional Assistant effective August 11, 2020.
- Heather Machida – Parkview Instructional Assistant effective August 11, 2020.
- Megan Stapp – Parkview Health Aide effective August 11, 2020.
- Mistie Taylor – Oolitic Camps Health Aide effective August 11, 2020.
- Brittani Webb – Shawswick Health Aide effective August 11, 2020.
Transfers – Support Staff:
- Cari Dodds – Transferring from BNL Cook to Parkview Cook effective August 7, 2020.
- Karla Hudson – Transferring from Oolitic Campus Cook to BMS Cook effective August 7, 2020.
- Alisha Marshall – Transferring from Oolitic Campus Cook to BNL Cook effective August 7, 2020.
Resignations – Certified:
- Kelly Cochren – Resigning as Shawswick Resource Instructor effective August 6, 2020.
Resignations – Support:
- Robert Duane Brown – Resigning as Shawswick Super Sub effective August 6, 2020.
- Tracey Capps – Resigning as Playful Pathways Instructional Assistant effective August 5, 2020.
- Tracey Meadow – Resigning as NLCS Custodian effective August 4, 2020.
- Becky Spoonmore – Resigning as BNL Instructional Assistant effective September 3, 2020.
- Kim Thompson – Resigning as Oolitic Instructional Assistant effective August 5, 2020.
- Mary Beth Ritchie – Resigning as Parkview Cook effective August 4, 2020.