(MITCHELL ) – The Mitchell School board approved fuel bids from Rocket Fuels Incorporated on Monday night. The company submitted the only bid for the second year in a row. The bids were advertised twice before Rocket Fuel submitted the lone bid.
Nelson Asphalt submitted the lone bid for seal coating and performing asphalt repairs at the Mitchell High School parking lot. The bid of $77,637.30 was accepted.
Hawkins Bailey will be installing LED lights in the rear parking lot of Mitchell High School. The LED lighting is already in place in the front of the high school. Due to the height of the light poles the work had to be performed by a contractor. A bid of $10,383.00 was approved.
The board also approved the transfer of bus route #28 to #36.
A resolution was approved to prohibit Mitchell Community School employees and coaches from participating in extra-curricular bank accounts. The new resolution was drawn up by Mitchell School Attorney Greg Pittman.
During the public comment period, questions were raised on making sure students receive certification from the North Lawrence Career Center and how those processes will work within the new COVID-19 pandemic. It was reported that the students did receive certificates at the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
Larry Caudell approached the Mitchell School board in regards to keeping houses that are set to be demolished on the 9th Street property that the corporation just purchased. The city will look for a parcel of ground and may have the houses moved to the new location. Officials note that this is just a proposal and it is all subject to approvals from the Mitchell Board of Works and other governing boards in addition to legal agreements between the two groups.
Questions were also raised regarding the application process for hiring coaches for the middle school. Leland Ames, who was a 7th grade middle school coach, was not notified nor was asked to submit an application for consideration. Ames said he has not received any poor evaluations and wanted to know how the process works. A meeting between Athletic Director Danny Reynolds, Ames, and Superintendent Dr. Mike Wilcox will be scheduled to discuss the matter.
The following personnel changes were approved:
- Arley Ramsey – Burris 6th Grade Teacher – Effective July 31, 2020
- Betty Lewis – LPN Effective – June 15, 2020
- Hannah Brown – Athletic Trainer – June 12, 2020
- Gretchen Mitchell – Preschool Coordinator/Case Coordinator – Effective August 3, 2020
- Molly Robbins – Hatfield Elementary EH Classroom Teacher – Effective August 3, 2020
- Jessica Walls – Hatfield Elementary First Grade Teacher – Effective August 3, 2020
- Heidi Meyers – CTE Teacher – Effective August 3, 2020
- Lisa Camp – LPN – Effective August 3, 2020
- Jamie Clark – Class C Custodian – Effective July 27, 2020
- Kelsey Lepore – Athletic Trainer – Effective July 14, 2020
- Sydney Harris – Maternity leave – Effective August 3 – October 19, 2020
- Alyssa Cogwell – Maternity leave – Effective August 5, 2020- September 27, 2020
- Melissa Abner – Family medical leave – Effective August 3, 2020 – September 14, 2020
- Madison McGuiness – Maternity leave – Effective August 3, 2020 – October 1, 2020
- Donna Trambaugh – Maternity leave – Effective August 5, 2020 – September 27, 2020
- Marian Brazell – Family Medical leave – Effective August 3 – September 11, 2020
Extra – Curricular Employment
- Jerry Chaney – Junior Varsity Coach
- Matt Sowders – 8th Grade Girls Basketball Coach
- Allision Kern – 7th Grade Girls Basketball Coach
- Dennis Hardman – 5th and 6th Grade Girls Coach
- Jeff Miller – 8th Grade Football Coach
- Brian Chilton – 7th Grade Football Coach
- Wayne Fulgate – Assistant Football Coach