(MARTINSVILLE) – Be prepared to see a lot of activity on State Road 39 this week, from State Road 37 to State Road 67.
Crews are making improvements to State Road 39 in advance of next year’s temporary closure of State Road 37. A five-mile section of State Road 37 in Martinsville will close for most of 2021.
Portions of State Road 39 are being widened to four lanes to move more traffic during the closure. Expect flagging operations on State Road 39 for the next week or two for patching, striping, and pavement widening.
Barrier wall installed on State Road 39 means adjusting access to some businesses. Access to businesses northwest of State Road 39 and Morton Avenue is from their rear entrances along Josephine Street. Access to Superior Auto will be from Poston Road. Access to Brothers Restaurant is from Mitchell Avenue instead of State Road 39. Harriet Street remains closed in the area with traffic routed onto Dickson Avenue and Cherry Street.
As a reminder, State Road 39 is scheduled to close this week (Monday-Friday) at the railroad crossing between Morton Avenue and Morgan Street for crossing reconstruction. Click here to see a map of the area.
This work is not part of I-69 Finish Line, but there will be a lot of activity this week along State Road. 39.
You can see all of the improvements being made to State Road 39 as part of I-69 Finish Line here.
- The intersection at Grand Valley Boulevard and Birk Road reopened this past week. Crews are continuing prep work for sidewalks in the area and along Artesian Avenue.
- Construction and paving work continues at Myra Lane with Myra continuing to be one-way heading west from S.R. 37. Traffic is expected to shift to the inside (right) lane on or after Tuesday, May 5.
- Our essential crews remain at work and continue to move us closer to the I-69 Finish Line. Watch this short video to meet one of our crew members and learn more about the project.
- Short videos and photos will help you watch the progress being made on I-69 Finish Line. The photo page on our website is updated regularly. Also watch for a Pit Pass Photo each week on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Crews are finishing paint and other work on the new Grand Valley Bridge overpass. The right lane of southbound S.R. 37 and the left lane of northbound S.R. 37 are expected to close this morning. Closures will shift as work is completed. Watch for closures throughout the week.
- The ramp from S.R. 39 to northbound S.R. 37 is expected to close for a few hours Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights for pavement patching.
- Lane closures are possible on S.R. 37 near Egbert Road, Henderson-Ford Road and Perry Road as construction continues on new overpasses. Expect inside lane closures during the day. Short, rolling closures are also possible to move equipment and materials.
- Traffic signal work continues at S.R. 144 and Waverly Park Road (Old S.R. 37) and Mann Road. Watch for flaggers and temporary lane closures in the area.