Pass/Fail Option Now Available for IU Students

(BLOOMINGTON) – Instructors at IU-Bloomington will now be able to choose whether they grade their spring courses on a satisfactory/fail basis, according to Provost Lauren Robel.

The satisfactory/fail option can be selected by professors for individual students with permission from the dean of the unit that is offering the course, according to the announcement.

The grade is meant to be used when a teacher knows a student passed a course but doesn’t have enough information to provide a grade.

IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said any class that is graded as satisfactory/fail will not be counted toward the student’s GPA.

Petitioning for the P grade option

The Pass/Fail option allows you to earn a “passing” grade P, as long as you earn a grade higher than F. The grade of P does not affect your GPA, but an F will. The Pass/Fail option was created to give students the opportunity to take classes to explore unfamiliar areas without the risk of lowering their GPA. Each degree program or school has different rules about if and how a course with the grade of P may count in the degree.

Eligibility to Apply the Pass/Fail Option

Students must be in Academic Good Standing according to the UD Academic Standards to be eligible to petition for the Pass/Fail option.

Steps to Petition for the Pass/Fail Option

  1. Read the official Pass/Fail option statements provided on the website of Student Central on Union.
  2. Read the Pass/Fail Option Restrictions by School (below) to determine if and how a class with the grade of P will count in your intended degree program.
  3. Consult the Official Calendar on the Office of the Registrar’s site to find the deadline for arranging to take the class pass/fail. You can arrange to take a class pass/fail before the term begins as long as you are enrolled in the class.
  4. Discuss your plans with your assigned University Division (or UD-Affiliated) Academic Advisor before petitioning to apply for the Pass/Fail option.
  5. Fill in the Pass/Fail petition form at the University Division Records Office in Maxwell Hall Room 028. You must be currently enrolled in the course you wish to take pass/fail before you can submit the Pass/Fail petition.