Farmers: Consider the Correct Permits When Hauling Away Your Crops

(UNDATED) – It won’t be long before we start seeing combines on the roads, out in the fields and semis hauling away the crops.

Before farmers leave their fields, they need to plan ahead to be sure they’re taking a route that allows this type of equipment.

While oversized or overweight agricultural implements or semis do not need permits to drive on local roads, this does not apply to state roads, US highways, and interstates.

If you think your semi or farm equipment weighs more than 80,000 lbs or is larger than the legal height, length and width, and you need to drive on a state road, US highway or interstate to get to your destination, you must get a permit from the state Motor Carrier Services team.

You can visit the office in person at:

Motor Carrier Services Division
7811 Milhouse Road., Suite M
Indianapolis, IN 46241

Or call: (317) 615-7320

Driving oversize or overweight vehicles on the roadways listed above without a permit can result in a civil penalty of $5,000.

Permit prices are based on the size of your vehicle and the weight, but usually, don’t cost more than $100 depending on the number of trips you are making and the distance of your trip.

Figuring out the weight can be hard because a majority of farmers don’t have a scale to know the exact weight of their semis. A Motor Carrier Services team member can talk you through options like buying the Overweight Commodities Permit. For semis hauling items like bulk grains, this could be the option. It allows semis within the legal width, height and length carry up to 97,000 lbs.