(UNDATED) – The Fresh Market and Target are recalling some of their salads and sandwiches due to a potential listeria contamination, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Elevation Foods says containers of Archer Farms-branded egg salad; Freskët brand egg salad, tuna salad, and Thai lobster salad; and Archer Farms-branded deviled egg sandwiches made on June 18 all fall under the recall.
The Fresh Market said the Thai Lobster Salad sold by the pound in the chain’s self-serve seafood salad bar and pre-packaged containers are included in the recall.
According to the company, 1,087 cases of the products were made at Elevation Foods’ Knoxville facility and shipped to retailer warehouses across the country.
The company says if consumers want to see if they have a potentially contaminated product, they should check the use-by date and lot number printed on the side of the containers or lids.
HOW TO IDENTIFY THE RECALLED PRODUCT:
The containers have the “use by” dates stated below printed on the side of each container and the lot number stated for each product on the side or the lid (see attached pictures). This recall applies only to the products with the lot numbers and “use by” dates stated below.
- Archer Farms-brand Egg Salad packaged in a 12-ounce clear, square plastic container, Lot Number W1906042A, Use By 12AUG2019 (printed on the side of each container) UPC 085239018682, distributed nationwide
- Freskët-brand Egg Salad packaged in a 32-ounce clear, square plastic container, Lot Number W1906042, Use By 12AUG2019A (printed on the side of each container
- Freskët-brand Tuna Salad packaged in a 5-pound white, round plastic container, Lot Number W1906054, Use By 02AUG2019A (printed on the side of each container
- Freskët-brand Thai Lobster Salad packaged in a 5-pound white, round plastic container, Lot Number W1906041, Use By 02AUG2019A (printed on the side of each container)
- Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwich Half Sandwich with Bacon, UPC 220505000002, distributed nationwide
- Archer Farms Deviled Egg Sandwich on Multigrain, UPC 498780203566, distributed nationwide
No illnesses have been reported yet, but listeria bacteria can cause serious illness and sometimes fatal infections in children, the elderly and anyone with a weakened immune system, according to the FDA. Healthy people can develop short-term symptoms such as high fever, headaches, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea. In women, a listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths.
Officials at Elevation Foods said they discovered the problem after receiving a positive test result for three containers of affected egg salad that were sampled and tested by the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The company says it is working to figure out the source of the listeria.
Should you find any of the recalled food products, return them to the retailer you purchased them from for a full refund.