(BEDFORD) – The highest heat index reported in the Southern Indiana area was reported in Bedford with a heat index reported at 114 degrees. The highest dew point recently in Indiana was 82 degrees in Ellettsville.
The heat is expected to last through Sunday according to the National Weather Service.
Many are finding ways to conquer the excessive heat this week. One of those ways is visiting the John Lowry Pool in Bedford to cool off.
According to Chloe Spires, a cashier at the John Lowery Pool, it has been busy as of late. “We have been selling a lot of wrist bands for the slide; a church group came by today. And the summer itself has been very busy,” said Spires.
The Lawrence County Fair Board made changes to the Lawrence County Fair due to the excessive heat. The carnival rides did not open until 7:00 p.m. and Swine Show was moved to 6:00 p.m. The Lawrence County Fair Board will continue to monitor the weather conditions to protect animals and fairgoers.
This weekend there are three outside events in the Lawrence County area. Those events include the Lawrence County 4-H Fair, the Boogie in Springville, and Midwest Trail Rides in Heltonville. Emergency officials will monitor the Emergency Medical System in Lawrence County according to Emergency Management Director Valarie Lauchuer.
Cooling Centers Available To Local Residents
In Mitchell the following cooling center is available. The Mitchell First Church of God will be opening up their Life Center starting Thursday, July 19 until Sunday, July 21, 2019. The Life Center is located at 405 North 12th Street. For more information call 812- 849-5199.
In addition all Lawrence County Fire Stations have agreed to be cooling centers to deal with the excessive heat. For any questions regarding the cooling stations you can contact Lawrence County Police Department at 812- 2753316.
In Monroe County:
If you have questions or need further information, call 812-349-2546.
- Bloomington Fire Station # 1 300 East 4th Street, Bloomington
- Bloomington Fire Station #2 209 Fairfield Drive, Bloomington
- Bloomington Fire Station #3 900 Woodlawn Avenue, Bloomington
- Bloomington Fire Station #4 2201 East Third Street, Bloomington
- Bloomington Fire Station #5 1987 South Henderson Street, Bloomington
- Northern Monroe Fire Territory 5081 North Old State Road 37, Bloomington
- Van Buren Fire Department 2130 Kirby Road, Bloomington
- Ellettsville Fire and Conference Center 5080 West State Road 46, Ellettsville
- Monroe Fire Protection District, Perry Twp. 3953 South Kennedy Drive, Bloomington
- Monroe Fire Protection District, Clear Creek Twp. 9094 South Strain Ridge Road, Bloomington
- Monroe Fire Protection District, Indian Creek Township 8019 South Rockport Road. Bloomington
In Greene County:
The North Shelter House at the Bloomfield Park will be open as a Cooling Center this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Bloomfield Hardware in the Southern Plaza in Bloomfield will also be a cooling center.
Another cooling center will be open in Greene County; The Linton First Baptist Church will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
This is in addition to the Bloomfield Community Building Thursday and the North Shelter House at the Bloomfield Park open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
Do not forget libraries will be open and they will be a place to cool.
Organizations willing to provide cooling centers call Greene County Emergency Management Agency at 812 384-4012.