(INDIANAPOLIS) – The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) has issued an Air Quality Action Day and is forecasting high ozone levels for Saturday, July 13, 2019 in the following areas:
- Central Indiana – Marion, Bartholomew, Boone, Brown, Delaware, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Madison, Monroe, Morgan and Shelby
- Northwest Indiana – Lake, Porter, LaPorte
- Southeast Indiana – Clark, Floyd, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Scott and Washington
- Southwest Indiana – Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Greene, Knox, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and Warrick
- West Central Indiana – Vigo
IDEM encourages everyone to help reduce ozone by making simple changes to their daily habits. You can:
- Walk, bike, carpool or use public transportation
- Avoid using the drive-through and combine errands into one trip
- Avoid refueling your vehicle or using gasoline-powered lawn equipment until after 7 p.m.
- Turn off your engine when idling for more than 30 seconds
- Conserve energy by turning off lights or setting the air conditioner to 75 degrees or above
Anyone sensitive to changes in air quality may be affected when ozone levels are high. Children, the elderly and anyone with heart or lung conditions should reduce or avoid exertion and heavy work outdoors.