(UNDATED) – Troopers from the Indiana State Police in Sellersburg will participate in Operation C.A.R.E. (Combined Accident Reduction Effort) as well as D.U.I.E.P. (Driving Under the Influence Enforcement Project) over the 4th of July holiday weekend.
These federally funded programs allow extra troopers to patrol Hoosier highways during the holiday period.
In 2018, during the three day holiday period, 1,623 crashes occurred on Indiana roadways, resulting in 396 injuries and six fatalities.
While on patrol, Troopers will concentrate their efforts on impaired drivers, distracted drivers, and those drivers and passengers not buckled up.
Data suggests that 2019 will bring a record number of travelers on America’s roadways and the Indiana State Police encourages all motorists to observe the following safety tips:
- Know that the roadways WILL be busy. Leave with plenty of time, drive courteously.
- Ensure you are well rested before you start your trip. A fatigued driver is a dangerous driver.
- Ensure your vehicle is ready for the roadway. Have you checked your tire pressure, fluids, wipers, etc.…?
- Obey the posted speed limit – especially in construction zones
- Buckle up – every passenger, every trip
- Don’t drive distracted – Don’t text and drive
- Never drink and drive