(INDIANAPOLIS) – The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles is launching newly designed driver’s licenses, permits and identification cards for Indiana.
The new design will be available online and at branches across the state by mid-July.
The BMV says it will take several weeks to transition all branches to the new design, so you might still receive the old design through mid-July, depending on the branch.
“It doesn’t matter which design you have because your Indiana license, permit, or ID is valid until the expiration date printed on the card,” the BMV writes in a press release.
According to the BMV, the new design includes the most modern and most reliable security features available.
Design features include:
- Black and white laser engraved text and image
- Tactile and UV features
- Mini Portrait
- Minor specific vertical card format with under 18 and under 21 wording
- Indiana focused imagery with a race car for Driver’s Licenses and a cardinal indicator for IDs
- Easier to find and read personal information
- More durable card construction for a longer-lasting tamper-resistant card
The new design doesn’t impact Real ID status for anyone. Beginning Oct. 1, 2020, a Real ID-compliant driver’s license, permit, or identification card will be required to board commercial airplanes or enter certain federal facilities unless you present a Department of Homeland Security-approved document.