(MITCHELL) – Firefighters from Mitchell and Marion Township responded to the First Apostolic Church at 805 Teke Burton Drive in Mitchell on Saturday afternoon.
Mitchell firefighters were first to arrive after being alerted that a fire alarm was sounding inside the building.
Firefighters say the church was filled with smoke. Marion Township Fire Department was then dispatched to assist.
Firefighters say a heating and air conditioning unit had overheated causing smoke to fill the church.
They were on the scene for more than an hour locating the source of the fire and using fans to clear smoke from the church.
Officers with the Mitchell Police Department and an AMR ambulance crew assisted at the scene.